If your home has been infested with fleas, it is essential that you act quickly to establish an effective flea control program for your home, yard, and any pets that may harbor these pests.
You have many choices for pest control but if you’ve come to Environmental Carpet Care you’ve decided upon a safe, natural, non-toxic and eco-friendly solution. Our treatment does more than just get rid of adult fleas, it actually breaks the life cycle of the pests so no new generations mature to re-infest.
Adult fleas are only a small percentage of the actual infestation. Most of the pests are actually in immature form as eggs or larvae. So, while you may be focused on eradicating the adult, biting fleas, it’s actually more effective to choose a lasting treatment that targets the eggs and/or larvae.
Adult fleas spend most of their time on an animal, but flea eggs, larvae, and pupae which eventually develop into the adults are found in the pet’s environment – especially in carpeting, bedding, and under furniture edges. It takes about two weeks to complete the life cycle from egg, to larvae, to egg-laying adult. Preventing eggs from maturing will effectively break the life cycle and as the adult fleas die, no new ones will mature to take their place.
Environmental Carpet care treats your carpet with Borate-based M-7 carpet treatment. M-7 is a non-toxic borate crystal salt that damages and kills the fleas, eggs, and larvae. This treatment is recommended by the City of Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment as a non-toxic method of flea control in the home.
1- We mix the odorless M-7 product with pure water and apply the solution to your carpet with a machine sprayer. In this manner, the M-7 has no toxicity to humans and pets; once dry, it is safe for your crawling infant or romping puppies and kittens. Be wary of other providers who may apply the powder dry which can be messy, dusty and even harmful if the powder is inhaled directly.
2- As the carpet dries, the borate forms minute crystals on the carpet fiber. These crystals are imperceptible to humans and animals; the carpets will feel soft and fresh as ever. But the crystals are deadly for eggs, larvae, and fleas. The Borate has the effect of destroying the protective coating on the the eggs, larvae, and fleas. Furthermore, it helps to desiccate the immediate environment where it is applied (carpets, baseboards, etc.) making it inhospitable for fleas which require at least 50% humidity to complete their life cycle.
3- After our professionals have treated your carpet, we’ll instruct you on best practices for ongoing flea control and how to be vigilant for re-emerging infestations. The flea cycle lasts about two weeks, and M-7 will last about one year or until the carpet is re-cleaned. Vacuuming will not remove the M-7.
Additional tips on flea removal and preventing re-infestation
1- Remove fleas from the indoor environment
- Wash and heat dry everything that can tolerate it. This includes stuffed animals, pets bedding, furniture covers, etc. 15 or 20 minutes in a hot dryer will kill adults, larvae and eggs.
- Vacuum everywhere, especially in cool, dark areas. Flea eggs can remain for weeks and even months if left undisturbed in cooler temperatures. Moreover, vacuuming creates vibrations and disturbances that trigger the eggs to mature and hatch. This will make any borate treatment more effective and lessen the chances of a ‘rogue’ cycle of fleas starting.
- Monitor and trap fleas in your home – naturally! You can make natural flea traps with a shallow pan or dish of soapy water and a light. Place a shallow dish of soapy water near a nightlight or otherwise keep lit at night with a lamp. The light and the moisture they sense attracts the fleas. They jump in and drown in the soapy water. You’ll note with satisfaction your progress each morning.
2- Remove fleas from the outdoor environment
- Keep lawn and planted areas well trimmed and clear of moist detritus as much as possible.
- Keep your pets away from moist, dark areas as these are favorable conditions for fleas.
- You may wish to have the area serviced by a licensed pest control company that uses natural, non-toxic, environmentally safe agents that kill and prevent re-infestation
3- Remove fleas from pets
- There are a number of options for this. Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment has done a nice job of summarizing the most effective flea control methods for pets in this PDF.
- Be vigilant of other animals traversing your property; they may be introducing the fleas into your area.
4- Keep immature forms of fleas from developing
- Contact Environmental Carpet Care now to find out about M-7 treatment for your carpets. M-7 borate crystals are non-toxic to humans and pets but lethal for fleas and their eggs and larvae.
- Each treatment will last about one year or until the carpet is re-cleaned.